Sunday, August 5, 2012

Hair

So Gabby Douglas wins a prestigious Olympic medal, making history.  This should be a proud moment for the black community.  Sadly, I keep hearing and reading black people complaining about the fact this athlete did not have her hair fixed. 

I seriously do not understand what is the big deal about how her hair looked.  Like I stated, she made history.  Also, her hair was fixed just like every other competitor on her team.  Being active in some sports I can attest, coaches like for hair to be uniform.  They say it makes the team look more concise. 

With that being said, I am about to go off on my rant.  I know MANY black females who spend many hours and tons of money on their hair.  These women have gorgeous hair, I must admit.  Beautiful natural curls or expensive weaves.  It makes no difference.  Their hair is really pretty and fashionable.  However, these women do not go to the gym.  They do not work out.  They do not swim.



I once asked one of my black friends why it was this way.  She sincerely replied, "What do you think happens when we sweat and our hair gets damp or wet?  It starts to get kinky.  All the time and money spent on the style is worthless once it gets wet!"  I could certainly understand why these women would avoid situations that would ruin their hair.  It made perfect sense.


However, this stuff about Gabby Douglas annoys me for one reason.  Growing up and living in the South for years, I did see many black women with gorgeous expensive hair but there was also another trend with these women.  Many (not all but most) were somewhat overweight, had high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, etc.  All of these conditions are associated with inactivity.  They may be in poor health but their hair is ON POINT! 

I know we all have different priorities but obviously Gabby Douglas was more concerned with being the best gymnast in the world.  She has certainly proven to be this.  She should not be judged by her hair.  She could be bald and no one should care; especially when you look at her team mates and they all have the same exact hair style.  It is highly possible she had no choice whatsoever in the style her hair would be pinned.  Give the kid a break and just be proud of her accomplishment.  WAY TO GO OUR MILITARY CHILD!  Way to go!!! 
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/08/03/gabby-douglas-proud-father-watches-her-win-gold-from-afghanistan/

No comments:

Post a Comment