Friday, May 4, 2012

Day of the Nerd


Empire/Republic
Rebel Alliance
May 4th is considered "Day of the Nerd".  I love this as we are a house full of nerds.  I consider myself a nerd and both my husband and son are nerds too.  We are proud of the fact we are nerds.  I think it is funny how the things that made my husband a nerd when he was growing up, make my son cool. 

For instance, Star Wars.  When my husband and I were young Star Wars and mostly all science fiction made you the nerdiest of the nerds.  The one nerd no person wanted to be around...except for other nerds lol.  However, as I stated, my son is cool for liking Star Wars.  I love how times change. 

Anyway, this blog is kind of a tribute to all the nerds.  The true nerds.  Not the pseudo nerds of today.  So here goes my rant of sort: 
  • Wearing suspenders and glasses with the lenses pushed out does not make you a nerd.  It makes you a hipster. 
  • Reading a book does not make you a nerd.  It makes you a fourth grade graduate. 
  • Playing World of Warcraft or other online games does not make you a nerd.  It makes you a gamer.   
  • However, if you can tell me what this is and describe in detail what it is used for (without using Google) 
you might actually be a nerd lol. 

In our family we celebrate being a nerd.  We love Star Wars...all of them, Lord of the Rings...the entire trilogy,  eagerly await the release of THE HOBBIT.  We love graphic novels and anime.  My son and husband really dig MANGA.  We participate in Dungeons & Dragons and Rifts.  And save us all, we love the card game Munchkin.  We have some of our greatest family times over these nerdy things.  I would not have it any other way.  I love my nerdy boys!    

So in celebration of Nerd Day, "May the 4th be with you!"  I feel some Star wars in our immediate future!  Fun times! 


No comments:

Post a Comment