Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Army Wife Stereotypes



Just like any other group of people Army wives face a number of stereotypes.  I am sure some of them are accurate in most cases but not all of us fit into this mold society has formed for us. 

The first stereotype I will hit is the "fat" one.  Not all Army wives are fat.  Some of us are quite fit.  And many of the "fat" ones are pregnant.  I do know several overweight Army wives but I know just as many overweight civilian wives. 

The second is the "cheating".  Not all Army wives cheat on their husbands.  Many of us a very faithful.  Yes we actually can make it 12, 18, sometimes 24 months without sex.  A real relationship is not based solely on sex so it is possible to survive without it.

Third, we are not "lazy".  The majority of us have to manage everything as our husband will be leaving for an extended amount of time, at least once.  We better be able to manage everything or we would be homeless within three months.  We also do volunteer work, support one another when needed, and still manage to find enough time to shower.  Lazy is the last thing I would call an Army wife.   

"Stupid" is the fourth one and possibly my favorite.  During the last week I have met six other wives who have college degrees but cannot obtain employment.  We are not unemployed because we are stupid.  We seem to face adversity because corporations know we will be transferring at some point.  So we are not all stupid; we are too nomadic.

Lastly, I will talk about being "gossipy".  Not all of us talk about the business of everyone else.  In fact, a lot of us do not even care about other people's problems.  We have enough to deal with on our own accord.  We do not need added drama from someone that really does not matter. 


So the next time you want to clump all Army wives into a generalized group, remember there are exceptions.  I am one of them.  I love my family and would do nothing to jeopardize that relationship nor my husband's career.  I am a wife first and foremost.  Army is just part of the baggage!

No comments:

Post a Comment