Monday, May 7, 2012

Warning Labels

I am constantly amused by warning labels.  I always read them and laugh.  Some of them are genuine and I can understand.  Ones that read, "Caution.  Can Damage Fabric" or "Warning. Very Hot".  Those are standard things that someone might actually need to know.  Personally I would hate to ruin my carpet or furniture because something did not say it could damage the fabric.
 
These kinds are common sense.  However, some of them are crazy.  For example, on curling iron labels it says "Do not stick in any orifice".  Who would do that?  I mean someone had to do it and get harmed.  Otherwise there would be no label.  Also makes me wonder if they were harmed because they decided to do it while the thing was hot.

My hairdryer has a label that treads. "Do not use in shower".  Not only is that the stupidest thing I have ever read but the entire idea is so counter productive.  The risk of electrocution should be known by humans.  Nonetheless, even if someone did not know about the danger of electrocution, why the hell would anyone use a hair dryer in the shower?  How can you dry your hair when you are under a water shower?  Like I said, COUNTERPRODUCTIVE.

This was on a package of shin guards.  "Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover."Well of course they cannot.  Who expects their shins to be protected if the guards are not on your body.  On second thought, does someone really think shin guards might protect their head...if they are on your shins?  This one really confuses me as to what people are thinking.  I would not want to be the idiot in the E.R.  who said, "I thought my skull was protected.  I was wearing shin guards."

One of my personal favorites, "Do not drive with sunshield in place."  Did someone really try to drive with one of those card board or metallic sunshields over their windshield?  If you cannot figure out why you cannot see, when there is a cover on your windshield that you put there yourself...you probably are not smart enough to have a driver's license.

When my son was a baby, this one made me question the knowledge of parents.  Someone had to do this or there would be no label!!!  "Remove child from the stroller before closing."  How is this even possible?  Was this person NOT EVEN LOOKING at the baby or the stroller?  Did they not notice they were having difficulty getting it to fold?  At what point did they notice the complication with folding the stroller was because their BABY was in the seat of the stroller?!

I will end with a disturbing one.  I bought a belt a few months back with a sticker on it that read, "Not to be used as a choking device.  Death may result."  I am pretty sure I know why this one got started.  People are into some kinky stuff but oh my...they have to make a warning label to prevent us from choking ourselves to death while...doing the deed. 

We are supposed to be the most intelligent species.  There are many occassions when I doubt this very much!!!  Let us all be smart my readers.  Common sense is a wonderful thing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment