Thursday, April 26, 2012

Damned Laundry Chime

There is nothing I love more than being able to take care of my family and home.  As much as I want to work toward a professional career, I must admit I enjoy being at home to do the household things my family need me to do.  It comforts me knowing my husband and son do not have to do a lot around the house.  However, I also have to admit laundry is my most hated chore.  It is the one chore that is never done because we are always wearing clothes lol. 

Whether in a basket in the bathroom, in my sons bedroom floor, or in a hamper in the laundry room I can ALWAYS find dirty laundry that need to be taken care of.  On any given day I can have a load of laundry.  Gathering the laundry, as annoying as it is, is the easiest part of this chore. 

After gathering, there is the sorting.  All the sorting.  Separate whites from colors, towels from shirts and jeans, delicates, wash cold,...it just goes on and on.  Once everything is sorted there is the washing and drying.  While this part is going I am able to do other things but 48-65 minutes, I hear the damned laundry chime. 

Both my washer and dryer play the most whimsical little tune when the cycle is done.  When I purchased the washer and dryer I thought the chime would be so much better than a buzzer.  A fun friendly song to let me know it was time to change out the loads.  Well this is simply not the way I hear this chime anymore. 

After hearing it at least 10 times per week for the last year, it now seems like a taunt.  When I hear the chime I imagine it is singing "Time to do more work.  You just wish you were done."  UGH always laundry lol. 

Even after I have it out of the dryer, I then have to fold it.  While I am folding I can hear the washer and dryer continuing to rumble; knowing it will only be a short time before it sings to me once again.  The ever singing damned laundry chime. 

When everything is folded, I then have the task of taking everything up stairs and putting it away.  I have recently been having my husband and son putting away their own laundry.  If I do all the other work, they can at least put it away.  Or so I thought.  My husband will walk past his folded clothes for a week before he FINALLY puts them away.  My son will sit them on his desk and eventually the clothes get put back in the laundry WITHOUT even being worn.  They make me crazy with this at times.  But whatever, I should just do it myself.  After all, the chime sings to me and me alone as no one else is home when I do the laundry.  If I hear the song I should complete the task. 

I just wish I could find a way to connect my soundtrack to the washer and dryer.  Like make the washer play Evenflow by Pearl Jam or Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple.  Any song that has to do with water or flow.  The dryer should play Fire in the Disco by Electric Six or Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash.  Better yet, they could both play All Apologies by Nirvana.  At least I would have real entertainment and an apology to go along with my chore that NEVER EVER ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment