Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mother was right...

Have you ever had one of those "ah-ha' moments when you realize your mother was correct?  My friend and I had one of those moments today.  We both agreed we would never admit such a thing to our respective mothers but we had to admit it to ourselves and each other. 

So the story beings with my friend and I chatting on Facebook.  She told me the next time we were together to remind her to give me a birthday gift her mom had gotten me.  I thought it was so nice that her mom got me a gift.  I told her to be sure to tell her mom I said thanks and that it was completely unexpected.  She went on to tell me how her mom really had compassion for me because  her mom was once a military wife just as I am now.  Therefore, her mom understood how it felt to be so far from your family and how lonely holidays and birthdays could be.  My friend explained how her dad had some issues with PTSD just as my husband has, so her mom can relate to me in that area of my life as well.  She stated her mom liked how I was a strong person and that her mom really appreciated how I was a good friend to her.

This made me feel great as a friend.  I mean, if someones mom notices you are a good friend, that is a compliment.  I feel like I try to be nice to everyone but if a mom notices me as a good person...whew!  I felt awesome. 

Then she went on to tell me how her mom stated, and I quote the message she sent me about her and her mom's conversation..."we were talking awhile back and I was just saying that we were having difficulties figuring out when we could meet up for your birthday and she said, "Oh... her birthday is coming up? I'm going to get her something because I like her! She's not weird like that cancer girl you hang out with!" 

This made me laugh and I asked, "cancer girl?"  Well apparently my friend once hung out with this girl that everyone thought had cancer even though she did not.  It seems this girl just looked really frail and did not take care of herself.  My friend stated it really bothered her mom that "cancer girl" never washed her hands.  My friend stated how she could go on and on about complaints her mom had with her friends but it would be a long mean list.  I was about to die laughing because this reminded me of things my mom said about some of my friends. 

My mom always had an opinion of the people I hung out with.  She would tell me how they were a bad influence.  Some of them were dirty and needed to bathe, or they were "bad girls" who had no self respect.  Just like my friend I could make a long mean list of complaints.  My friend and I both agreed how rude this was and how it had once annoyed us.  However, I had to admit my mom was right about all the people she complained about.  My friend stated, in retrospect her mom was always right too. 

Maybe we should have listened to our mothers but I think not listening taught us how to be a good judge of character.  I mean, we found one another and she is one of the best friends I have.  Apparently I am a great friend too, because like I said, if mama notices I must be doing something correctly.  Hell, I know I am because my friend's mom is so blunt she would tell me if I wasn't.  Just like my own mama would! 

Gotta love those mamas!!! Even if we refuse to admit to them directly they were right and we should have listened all along.  Nope, never ever going to admt it...  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment