Monday, April 16, 2012

Info-tainment

Watching the "news" I become very disturbed at the crap journalist choose to or are forced to report.  There are so many important issues happening in the world at any given moment.  Why do these things very rarely get reported?  Why does info-tainment out rank the real issues? 

I know it is entertaining to know what the Kardashians are doing.  It makes everyone happy to know BrAngelina is engaged or adopting a new baby.  We are all enthralled about Axl refusing to be inducted into the Music Hall of Fame.  The list goes on and on; I could fill up this entire page with junk headlines.  I ask myself, "Is this really what people want to hear about?  Is this what people find important?" 

Well, I find it insulting.  I want to hear the real news.  Headlines about how we have military personnel returning from deployments but cannot receive proper mental health due to lack of doctors.  How we have families going hungry in this country because their families cannot obtain social services nor do we have enough food banks to meet demand.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/share-our-strength/package/index.html
How corporations are abusing employees and wasting the time of the unemployed by waiting 6 months to fill open positions. The current employees are "picking up the slack" while waiting for a replacement to fill the empty position.  Unemployed candidates are interviewing over and over for "very competitive" jobs.  Unfortunately, after current employees have handled things for six months the heads of the corporations feel like the position was never needed in the first place.  So now we have several over worked employees and a person who still needs a job.  Again I could fill this page with examples.
All of this really saddens me.  It makes me wonder what kind of failure we are setting our children up for.  Will they really know what issues are important and what issues are not?  Will they be filled with a sense of entitlement because that is what they are exposed to?  A world where everyone gets a ribbon whether they win or not.  A world where they really think they have 1000 friends because a Facebook lists says it is so.  Will they be ready for the "real world". 

I struggle to raise my son the way I think all people should be raised.  He has to earn money by doing chores if he wants extra things.  He is expected to make passing grades.  He must be respectful of other people.  I struggle because he sees so many other children getting stuff and they never have to earn it.  He hears other children being rude and not getting scolded.  It can be very confusing for him.  However, I hope he will be a better, more productive citizen because of these teachings.  I have parents tell me all the time how I am too strict on my son.  I try to ignore it and remind myself, my son is not the seven year old dropping f-bombs or the 10 year old setting stuff on fire.  With that being said I must admit, he gets rewarded for doing well.  I may be strict but when does a good job I make sure he knows it is appreciated.  When he brings home passing grades he gets a treat.  When he does his chores without having to be reminded his allowance gets increased.  I think it is only fair to praise him for a good job if he is going to be punished for a poor one.  This allows him to make the decision that will shape his immediate future.  Hopefully teaching him how his decisions will always have a bearing on what is to come.  Thus, make the smart decisions, the good decisions. 

I also know every generation has concerns about the next.  I am sure my parents had similar worries for my brother and I.  Maybe this is what we are supposed to do as we get older; worry about the little ones and how the future will be for them.  I just hope my son has enough sense to be focused on what is true and proper and not be blinded by info-tainment and twaddle.  as for myself, until the U.S. News decides to report on the important things I will continue to watch the BBC for my important world information.  The BBC seems to give you the hard truths and I like it that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment