Monday, April 23, 2012

Gender Roles

Several decades ago gender roles seemed very defined.  Women stayed at home and cared for her family while the man worked to earn income to provide for the family.  As we all know, this is no longer how things are. 

In today's society it is almost necessary for both parents to work.  The economic system makes it difficult to provide for a family on one income alone.  Cost of living seems to be expensive no matter where you live. 

As I have been searching for employment I have thought a lot about these gender roles.  I love being able to be at home for my son.  I am able to be at every event he has.  I am able to help with his homework.  I am able to guide him with any advice he needs from day to day.  It makes me happy to be able to do these things and not have to rely on daycare; especially when my husband is deployed.

However, lately I have wondered if I am doing my son an injustice.  I noticed how he loves to help me in the kitchen.  He also quotes things he hears from my girly television shows.  For example, he made the comment about a photo where he said "that girl is not smeyesing".  That is a total ANTM reference.  This concerned me.   I was talking to my husband and asked him if he thought I had done something wrong.  I don't honestly know what that something would have been but as a mom I always blame myself.  Anyway, my husband said no and told me to notice all the things my son quotes.  Thus child quotes everything from Pokemon to Locked and Loaded's R. Lee Ermy.  He also wants to know how to do everything, not just help me in the kitchen.  I think he is just inquisitive.  


I would love my son no matter which gender role he chose but I know everyone is not like me.  Some people really stress societal norms on others.  I personally do not care who works, who stays at home, if both parents work, etc. m We all do what we need to do to survive.  I just hope I can raise my son to be a healthy, well adjusted adult.  I do not want to do any damage therapy cannot fix when he grows up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment