Friday, April 20, 2012

Full-Time Job

On June 10, 2011 I finally obtained my college degree.  I graduated from the University of Washington with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration.  The emphasis for my business degree was Finance and Economics.  I was so excited to have finally obtained this little piece of paper that was supposed to change my life.  All of these doors were supposed to have opened to me because I had a college degree.  Six months before I graduated I began searching help wanted ads for ANYTHING in the finance industry.  I felt certain I would be able to find something because not only was I getting this degree from a public Ivy League university but I also had a decade of experience at a financial institution.  I just knew I would be a bankable asset (pun intended hahaha).   

Well, almost a year later I find myself still searching for employment.  I was not expecting the economy to be in such a morbid state.  Currently, unemployment is down in 30 states and up in 8 (as of March-U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).  I find myself getting more and more frustrated as I search for a job.  I have done some networking but always get told to "apply online".  So I have relentlessly searched the Internet for companies in my area with business openings.  Ideally, I would love to get back into banking as I loved the interaction with customers, matching customers with products to suit their needs, and the numbers...I LOVE NUMERICAL COMPUTATION.  This would make me so happy. 

Unfortunately, during the past two weeks I have noticed a disturbing trend.  I have applied for so many positions at different banks that I have lost count.  I would have to estimate it to be at least 15 positions.  The rejection emails I have recently received have been discouraging.  They no longer read, "You were not selected" or "another applicant has been selected to fill the position".  The last eight I have received have stated, "Unfortunately, this job opening has been cancelled...".  This means the corporation decided, after the position had been open for at least four months, they no longer needed this position to run the business.  Sadly, at least 48 people had applied and hoped to be chosen for one specific position.  I was one of those people.  I did not check the apply count on all of the positions.  I simply did not have time to look all of them up.  Actually, I will be honest.  I did not want to know how many people were hoping for those eight jobs.  So it appears since the employees of these companies have been keeping the business of these corporations going for months without these positions being filled the corporations decided they could keep doing it.  Thus, there are now some really over worked people and people like me who still need a job.  Not only that but it appears these jobs are disappearing.  I can only hope the work quality and efficiency will falter and corporations will decide these jobs really were necessary. 

With that being said, it brings me to the next topic: Stay at home mothers/fathers.  I personally do not care which parent stays at home or is unemployed.  If they work as hard as I do to make sure my family is cared for, our home is clean, and the children taken care of, they deserve some recognition and a pay check.

I read an article published on mothering.com stating how stay at home parents worked on average 95 hours a week and were worth at least $113,000 per year http://mothering.com/all-things-mothering/take-action/news/stay-at-home-moms-worth-113000-according-to-new-average.  After reading this article I thought about how many jobs I do in one day.  On any given day I work as
  1. chef
  2. maid
  3. laundry service
  4. lawn maintenance
  5. chauffeur
  6. financial analyst
  7. economic budgeter
  8. personal shopper
  9. delivery person
  10. nurse
  11. therapist
  12. teacher/tutor
  13. administrative assistant
  14. appointment coordinator
  15. dietitian.
I could go on but I am sure you get the point.  It is not easy taking care of all these things for a family.  It dawned on me I already have a full-time job that I do not receive any financial compensation for whatsoever.  Then I have the full-time job of looking for a job.  No wonder I am exhausted all the time.  Would it not be the greatest thing if stay at home parents could receive a pay check for the very important job we do?  What would happen if we all decided to stop doing our job for a week?  Well other than the obvious; grumpy spouses and dirty, hungry children.  Do you think anyone else wold notice?  Would it lead to something revolutionary like maybe getting us some financial compensation for how hard we work.  I would not mind punching a clock for every task I do because I work hard.  I would document each and everything I did.  I would document each and every minute it took to do that specific task and I would not lie about it either.  I would honestly keep accurate records if it meant I might get paid lol.  I do the things I do because I love my family and I love a well ordered house but getting paid would be phenomenal.  I know this will likely never happen but a girl can dream, can she not?       

 

No comments:

Post a Comment